Other British posts in USA

» Anchorage

» Atlanta

» Boston

» Charlotte

» Cleveland

» Denver

» Detroit

» Houston

» Indianapolis

» Las Vegas

» Los Angeles

» Madison

» Miami

» Minneapolis

» Nashville

» New Orleans

» New York

» New York
(Permanent Mission to the UN)

» Orlando

» Philadelphia

» Phoenix

» Pittsburgh

» Portland, Oregon

» Salt Lake City

» San Francisco

» San Juan, Puerto Rico

» Washington

British embassies in nearby countries

» Canada

» Mexico

British embassies worldwide

Other embassies and consulates in Chicago

British flag Consulate-General of the United Kingdom in Chicago

AddressThe Wrigley Building, Suite 1300
400 N Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
Phonelocal: (312) 970.3800
international: +1.312.970.3800
Faxlocal: (312) 970.3852
international: +1.312.970.3852

» Can I visit the United Kingdom without a visa?

Comments on this Consulate-General

Showing comments 1–10 of 17, newest first.
1 2 > >>
Mark A. Bradbury
Tue, 18 Aug 2015 10:39 EDT
British heritage
My immigrant ancestor, who was my great, great grandfather, came to America in the mid 19th century. I am proud of my British heritage and look forward to someday visiting the land my forefathers.
Marlene Bell
Thu, 26 Feb 2015 15:15 EST
Dual Citizenship
I am American but my husband was British. We have five adult children born in America and they would like to have dual citizenship with Great Britain. What are the requirements for them to attain dual citizenship?
Sun, 20 Jul 2014 09:04 EDT


Do not post messages here for the Consulate. This is not an official site and questions will not be answered by Consulate staff.

Instead visit the official website of the British Government in the USA at:


Sarah P.
Thu, 26 Jun 2014 14:28 EDT
I moved over to the united states 11 years ago i am now 20 years old. My passport got destroied when i was a child and i need the information that was on the visa stapled into my passport and i also need the social security number from scotland. Can you guys get that information for me? you can email me at sarah_picksley@yahoo.com
June Billie
Mon, 16 Jun 2014 12:27 EDT
Renewal of UK Passport
This has been extremely frustrating and confusing. No consulates are handling passport renewals and the websites have been very confusing. I need to renew my British passport. I saw online that I can get an extension of 12 months on my existing passport. How can I get this done? Much appreciated.
Ajay Gupta
Thu, 1 May 2014 14:22 EDT
Hello. My mother has a British passport and had lived in England from 1972 to 2014. She is 89 years old and has relocated to Minneapolis to live with us. Her passport has her name listed as "Saroj Gupta". Her I-130 US visa approval has her name listed as her full name of "Sarojini Gupta".

I have been advised by my US lawyer to see if her passport can be annotated to include her full name of Sarojini Gupta in addition to her abbreviated name of Saroj Gupta.

Are you able to assist? Time is of the essence.
Philip Nystrand
Mon, 3 Feb 2014 17:53 EST
Marriage certificate
My wife and I married in London (in Lewisham) on 3 March 1972. We do not have an original copy of the marriage certificate (#235). Can you help us get one stamped officially?

Thank you.

Philip Nystrand
Matthew Watts
Tue, 10 Dec 2013 04:27 EST
Certificate of Good Conduct
Hello Sir/Madam
I am a British citizen who was married to a US citizen for twenty years and living in Kentucky. In 2010 my wife died of cancer and a year later I returned to live in England. I recently moved to Sheffield in South Yorkshire where I am temporarily living with my brother and sister in law. My sister in law is a child minder and is required by a government agency called Ofsted to get a Certificate of Good Conduct on me for the last five years. This goes back to 2008 while I was living in Kentucky. I therefore need this Certificate of Good Conduct for the years 2008 to July 2011 when I left the USA and returned to England. Please contact me at mwatts_156@yahoo.com Thank you.
Palesa Martin
Fri, 15 Nov 2013 13:02 EST
South African Passport holder, transiting UK to The USA

I transiting through the UK from S. Africa to my residence in the US. I have a valid green card but hold a south asfrican passport. I will only be in the UK to connect flights(3hrs) remaining in the same airport. Will I need to get a transit visa?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Fri, 25 Oct 2013 17:58 EDT
Spouse Visa
I am a British Citizen and have lived in United States with my American Citizen husband for 35yrs
We would like to retire in England as I still have
family there. How would we apply for a spouse visa
and what income would be required. Our social security amounts to approximately $24,000 per annum.
Would this count with the addition of savings. If so
what would be the total amount required for us
to permanently reside in England? Thank you.

Post a comment on this page

We invite you to share your experiences with the British Consulate-General — obtaining visas and other services, locating the building, and so on. Your comments may be seen by the public, so please do not include private information.

Your name
Your message
Max 2000 characters

This web site is not operated by the Consulate-General and your comments and questions will not necessarily be seen by its staff. Please note that this is not a forum for broad debate about the foreign policy of the United Kingdom, and such topics will be deleted.